Sunday, October 7, 2012

Racism and Women's Studies

I'm glad I got this piece to write about because it is something I'm very much passionate about. A lot of people think feminism and constrain it to just white women. In reality feminism belongs to all women no exclusions but many of us turn our back on women of other cultures just because of the way we were brought up. I worked at a bakery when I was 16 and there were these two guatemalan sisters at first unconsciously I judged them in many ways but as I began to get to know and become extremely close with them I opened my eyes to my preconceived feelings I had. I partly blame this on the fact that the schools I went to there might have been only a handful of people who weren't white I never had the exposure to other cultures before that. One day we were all working and two police officers came in and started calling them some pretty racist things and asking for their green cards, why? Because they didn't like that these girls had accents and at times it can be hard to understand them and because they could I still to this day kick myself and feel horrible that I didn't stand up for them instead I stood there unsure of what to do. In feminism we're called to stand up for other females regardless of any differences we may have.

This article talks about african american women fighting workplace discrimination which is a huge feminist issue not only just being a woman you get discriminated against in jobs but to be a black woman it is even more difficult. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad we got your blog stuff worked out. Looking forward to checking out your posts.

    ReplyDelete